Is the earth really meant only for humans?
Since the last few days, I have been following the Taiji cove dolphin killings. I do not have the nerve to open their live feed links and watch the reddened sea water. It pains me. It disturbs me, the ease with which the world can defend such violent killings of innocent beings who do not even understand why they are being subjected to such abject cruelty. I do not understand what part of the human brain or heart can drive a human being to rationalize this kind of a slaughter. I do not understand how a human being, supposedly the most intelligent mammal, can laugh while stoning a dog, kicking a kitten, slaughtering a rhinoceros, breaking the spine of a bottlenose dolphin. I cannot even understand how it can be so easy to turn your head away from such gory truth.
It really pains me to see humans falling to such levels where money, profit and luxuries are the only things that matter.
I guess this will never stop. I have to build my strength to be able to see such happenings and do whatever I can, in my capacity. I cannot accept it and move on for sure.
There are several people like me who want to do something but don’t know what to do. Here are a few things amongst many, that you can do to make a difference in your own small ways for your co-habitants on earth.
1. Try and use cruelty-free cosmetics and beauty products.
2. If you see an injured animal, call Blue Cross(google their local number) and let them know. They will also neuter the dogs and mark them. The animal becomes calmer after sterilization. You can even get them vaccinated, if you want. It is not very expensive. Whenever I got it done for the strays in my area, I would just skip watching a movie in a multiplex.
3. Keep bowls of water in your balcony or outside the housing societies.
4. You can call certain animal groups in your area and donate old cotton clothes that are not in a wearable condition, your old newspapers, gunny bags, etc. The cotton clothes make good bandages, and the newspapers and gunny bags help recovering animals keep dry.
5. If you want a pet, I highly suggest adopting a rescue rather than buying a purebred. The animal is not a status symbol.
6. Do not get a pet if you intend to treat it as a door show piece. Please!
7. Energy conservation goes a long way and helps everyone!
For now, I can just pray for the lives being snatched away, at no fault of their own.
Rest in peace, dear innocence.
(I know this post comes across all preachy, but it is just what I am feeling.)